In 1920, the Council of the League of Nations
appointed Britain as the Mandatory entrusted with the administration of
the Land of Israel. The borders of the land, as a separate country, were
defined for the first time in many centuries. Until then, under the
Ottoman Empire, the land's boundaries had not been defined because it
was part of other large Ottoman districts like the district of Damascus
and was not a distinct political unit. The term name "Palestine" that
was chosen for this Mandate was based on the term name "Palestina" that
was given to the country by the Roman Empire in the second century CE.
The territory of the British Mandate included land on both sides of
the Jordan River, encompassing the present-day countries of Israel and
Jordan. About 77% of this Mandate was east of the river Jordan River,
and in 1921, Great Britain created there a separate administrative
entity called Transjordan. The changed mandate took effect in 1923.
Click to enlarge
© IDF Mapping Unit
This map is for illustrative purposes only and should not be considered authoritative.