Jerusalem- Capital of Israel- A Collage of Neighborhoods and Streets
Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs
*

 Jerusalem- Capital of Israel-  A Collage of Neighborhoods and Streets

3/1/2001

 JERUSALEM - CAPITAL OF ISRAEL
 CAPITAL OF ISRAEL  |  SEAT  OF  GOVERNMENT  |  HOLY  CITY  |  OLD  CITY  |  NEIGHBORHOODS  |  MUSEUMS  &  MONUMENTS  |  PARKS
 
Part IV - A Collage of Neighborhoods and Streets


   JAFFA ROAD
 
 
Jaffa Road, Jerusalem's main thoroughfare, so named because it leads from Jaffa Gate in the Old City to the city of Jaffa and the coastal plain.

 

 
 
   HANEVI'IM STREET 
 
In the early years of the 20th century, this was one of the largest and most important streets in the city. It was also known as "the street of the consulates" because a number of foreign missions were located there. Many of its
buildings characterize the architecture of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, imbuing the street with an old-world elegance.

 
   YEMIN MOSHE
 
 
Restored in recent years in keeping with its original architectural character, Yemin Moshe is now a picturesque neighborhood of homes, artists' studios and art galleries. Named after Sir Moses Montefiore, it was built in the late 19th century as the first neighborhood outside the protecting walls of Jerusalem's Old City.

 

 
 
   "HUNGARIAN HOUSES" 
 
One of the city's oldest ultra-Orthodox neighborhoods, this complex was built at the end of the nineteenth century by the Hungarian Jewish community for its members.

 

 

 
   MAHANE YEHUDA  MARKET
 
 
An outdoor market featuring stalls which offer fresh fruits and vegetables, condiments and nuts, meat, fish and cheeses, baked goods and dried pulses.

 

 
 
   OHEL MOSHE 
 
A neighborhood characterized by small stone houses surrounding a large cobble square, Ohel Moshe was built in 1882 by Sephardic Jews, and named after Sir Moses Montefiore who donated funds for its establishment.

 

 
   NAHLAT SHIVA
 
 
A typical early 1900s House in Nahlat Shiva, one of the earliest neighborhoods built outside the walls of the Old City. It was established by seven young men, hence its name, "the Estate of the Seven". Today it is in the center of the new city.

 

 

 
 
   GEULAH OPEN-AIR  MARKET 
 
This market springs up every year especially to sell sets of the Four Species -- the citron, palm branch, willow and myrtle -- which are used for the Jewish autumn holiday of Sukkot (Tabernacles).

 

 
   MEA SHEARIM
 
 
Ultra-Orthodox Jews in their customary dress are seen here in the city's oldest ultra-Orthodox neighborhood, Mea Shearim (100 Gates), founded in 1875.

 
 
   DAVID'S VILLAGE 
 
A new luxury apartment complex near the walls of the Old City, designed by world-renowned architect Moshe Safdie.

 
   RAMAT ESHKOL
 
 
Ramat Eshkol - one of the neighborhoods built after the reunification of Jerusalem in 1967.

 

 
 
   WOLFSON TOWERS 
 
The Wolfson Towers - a complex of modern high-rise luxury apartment buildings.

 

 
 
 
Press for print versionPrint version
  
Send To Friend
  
  
  
  
  
Share