The Transformation of Israeli Cities- Tel-Aviv -Exhibit-
Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs
*

 The Transformation of Israeli Cities- Tel-Aviv -Exhibit-

7/6/2003

 THE TRANSFORMATION OF ISRAELI CITIES
 INTRODUCTION  |  JERUSALEM  |  JERUSALEM  EXHIBIT  |  JERUSALEM  EXHIBIT  (CONT)  |  TEL-AVIV  |  TEL-AVIV  EXHIBIT  |  TEL-AVIV  EXHIBIT  (CONT)
 
  Tel-Aviv - Architectural Exhibit


   JAFFA
 

 
The ancient port-city with its mediaeval fabric was expanded under Turkish and British rule and then absorbed within Tel-Aviv. Sensitive alterations and careful urban interventions are part of the old city's renewal - 1984-1986

Top right: The Sea Shell House Renovation: 1990
Architect: Ilan Pivko
Middle left: "Givat Aliya" Beach: 1993
Architects: S. Giler, I. Lederman, assisted by L. Holender
Middle right: Photo: Albatross
Bottom left: Jerusalem Blvd project: The "Noga " Plaza: 1990
Architects: Kalman Katz, Yaron Katz

 

 
   NEVE TZEDEK 
 
Founded as a Jewish cooperative suburb in 1887. Neve Tzedek has an orthogonal non-hierarchical pattern of narrow streets and a blend of western and local influences. The area is undergoing a process of renewal.

Top left: Susanne Dallal Center: 1989
Architects: E.&R. Rubin; Landscape Architect: S. Aronson
Top right: New residential building, 16 Alroi St.
Architects: E. Kimei & M. Eshkolot, 1988
Middle left: Susanne Dallal Center: View south
Middle right: Writers' House. Built 1889. Renovation: 1996.
Architect: R. Seibert
Bottom left: Susanne Dallal Center: Bat Sheva Building, 1892. Renovation: 1989; Architects: E.&R. Rubin
Bottom right: Chelouche Brothers building. Built: 1912. Renovation: 1993

 
   EARLY ECLECTIC  ARCHITECTURE
 

 

 

 
The "Ahuzat Bait" garden suburb, founded in 1909, marks the beginning of Tel-Aviv as an autonomous urban entity, followed by the unplanned growth of the "city core". Current policy favors conservation.

Top left: This historic building will be restored as part of the Rothschild Blvd. renewal. In the background: the first Hebrew High School "Herzliya".
Top right: A. Weiss House, 2 Herzl St. 1909. Designer and builder: A.A. Weiss; Proposed renovation, Architect: Amnon Bar-On
Middle left: Levin House, 1924. Architect: J. Megidovitz (1886-1961)
Middle right: Renovation architect: Amnon Bar-On
Bottom right: "Ehad Ha'am" School, 1924. Architect: D. Herskovitz. Renovation architect 1994: Hana Lam
Bottom left: Detail

 
 
   ROTHSCHILD BOULEVARD 
 
The city's first avenue, which gradually became the hub of the Central Business District, faces a major transition because of rising land values. Office towers will radically change its character.

Top left: 1921. Photo: S. Narinsky
Top right: Site plan
Bottom left: Africa-Israel House.
Architects: A. Yasky, J. Sivan
Bottom right: The Phoenix House.
Architects: J. Goldenberg, M. Buchman; Project architect: D. Nemet

 
   "BAUHAUS"  ARCHITECTURE
 


 
Patrick Geddes' master plan of 1925 and modernism converged to generate the cityscape of north central Tel-Aviv - "The White City" - shaped by the work of European educated architects, such as Karmi, Sharon and Rechter.

Top (left to right):
Zina Square: 1935. Architect: Genya Averbuch (1909-1977)
"Hod Residences": 1935. Architect: Genya Averbush (1909-1977)
"Rubinsky House": 1936. Architect: Lucian Korngold (1897-1972)
Engel House: 1933. Architect: Zeev Rechter (1898-1960)
Middle left: Beit Hanna Educational Institution: 1934.
Architect: J. Pinkerfeld
Middle right: Beit Hanna Gallery & coffee shop.
Renovation: 1994; Architect: Dov Allon
Bottom: "Beit Hanna" residential complex: 1996. Architect: Aric Riskin

 

   
In order to preserve the vast heritage of modern movement buildings, mainly the sui generis Tel-Aviv apartment block, extensions to and renovation of listed structures or their integration within new projects are strictly regulated.

Top (left to right):
Kroskel House: 1931. Architect: R. Kaufmann (1887-1958)
Extension: 1994. Architect: Assaf Gotessman
3 Ben-Ami residential building: 1936. Architect: Mordechai Rosengarten
Extension: 1994. Architect: Yiftach Aloni
Middle left: "Ha'aretz" Publishing House: 1934
Architects: Yossef Berlin (1877-1952), Ze'ev Berlin (1906-1967)
Middle right: "Ha'aretz" Apartment Hotel (under construction)
Architect: Akiva Lomnitz (1946-1996)
Bottom: General perspective

 
 
 
Press for print versionPrint version
  
Send To Friend
  
  
  
  
  
Share