At the end of November, the areas under Israeli control were the scene of growing unrest. This was normally connected with various dates, such as the 1947partition resolution day. Palestinian extremists were also demonstrating to show solidarity with members of the PLO who were fighting Shilite militias in Lebanon for the control of southern Lebanon. On December 4, in the course of a student demonstration at Bir Zeit university, north of Jerusalem, the Israeli army opened fire. Two students were killed and twelve wounded. The matter was brought to the Security Council which adopted the following resolution. The United States abstained.
The Security Council,
Having considered the letter dated 4 December 1986 from the Permanent Representative of Zimbabwe to the United Nations, in his capacity as the Chairman of the Movement of Non-Aligned Countries, contained in document S/ 18501,
Recalling the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949,
Seriously concerned about the situation in the Palestinian and other Arab territories occupied by Israel since 1967, including Jerusalem,
Bearing in mind the specific status of Jerusalem,
1. Reaffirms that the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949, is applicable to the Palestinian and other Arab territories occupied by Israel since 1967, including Jerusalem;
2. Strongly deplores the opening of fire by the Israeli army resulting in the death and the wounding of defenceless students;
3. Calls upon Israel to abide immediately and scrupulously by the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949;
4. Further calls upon Israel to release any person or persons detained as a result of the recent events at Bir Zeit University in violation of the above-mentioned Geneva Convention;
5. Also calls all concerned parties to exercise maximum restraint, to avoid violent acts, and to contribute towards the establishment of peace;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the Council on the implementation of the present resolution not later than 20 December 1986.