(Communicated by the IDF Spokesman)
In accordance with the decision of the political echelon, the IDF expanded its ground activity in southern Lebanon last night, Friday, August 11, 2006.
IDF infantry and armored forces, supported by air and naval forces, are operating in areas from which rocket are launched at Israel.
IDF forces operating in the area of the village of Anduriya, secured positions in the area of the Saluki River, south of the Litani River. In exchanges of fire forces killed over 10 Hizbullah terrorists. Forces also destroyed a missile launcher near the village of Dbel in the central section of southern Lebanon.
Overnight the IDF carried out over 80 aerial attacks in southern Lebanon, these included:
Hizbollah headquarters, weaponry storage facilities, a bunker near the village of A-Khiam, Hizbullah command center south of Tyre, three structures used by Hizbullah south of the village of Qana, 9 bridges and access routes to prevent the smuggling of weapons and the movement of terrorists and 10 launch sites in the area of Nabatiya.
* * *
19 IDF soldiers were killed and others severely wounded during fighting over the last day in southern Lebanon. The wounded were evacuated, under heavy fire, to Israeli hospitals for medical treatment.
Following are details of the events, in chronological order:
- A soldier was killed when an anti-tank missile struck the tank in which he was riding near the village of Kanatra, in the eastern sector.
- A soldier was severely wounded when an anti-tank missile struck the tank in which he was riding in the village of A-Tiri.
- A soldier was killed, five more severely wounded and additional soldiers lightly wounded during exchanges of fire in the village of A-Naduria, in the western sector.
- Two soldies were killed, an additional soldier severely wounded and another soldier lightly wounded during what appears to have been an accident during operations in the village of Hadetha in the central sector.
- An officer and two soldiers were killed and an additional soldier severely wounded when an anti-tank missile struck their tank in the village of A-Naduriya, in the eastern sector.
- A soldier was killed when anti-tank missiles were fired at the bulding in which he was, in A-Naduriya.
- Four soldiers were killed by an anti-tank charge that exploded when they drove over it, in the village of A-Tiri, in the eastern sector.
- An offocer and three soldiers were killed and another was severely wounded when an anti-tank missile struck their tank in the village of Hirbat Kasif, in the eastern sector.
In addition, an IDF helicopter with five crew members aboard was hit during combat manuevers yesterday, crashing in southern Lebanon.