(Communicated by the President's Spokesperson)
Israeli President Shimon Peres will leave on November 9 on a state visit of Brazil and Argentina at the invitation of Brazilian President Luis Inácio da Silva and Argentine President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner. President Peres will head a delegation that includes the Israeli Minister of Tourism Stas Misezhnikov as well as 40 representatives of the top Israeli companies in water technology, agriculture, communications, energy, medical equipment, and defense.
The President's visit from November 10-17 marks the first state visit by an Israeli President to Brazil in 40 years and to Argentina in 20 years. During the visit the President will aim to strengthen and deepen Israel's strategic, diplomatic, and economic ties with these two critically important Latin American countries.
During the visit President Peres will hold a series of state meetings with the top ranks of the Brazilian and Argentine governments, including their presidents, foreign and defense ministers, senior economic ministers, heads of parliament, and local leaders. Within the framework of these meetings the President will discuss the Iranian infiltration of the continent, opportunities to strengthen political and strategic ties between the countries, and how to increase economic cooperation.
The President will participate in official military ceremonies, hold press conferences with the presidents of both Argentina and Brazil, and will sign a series of economic agreements calling for increased cooperation. The President's hosts in Brazil have also planned a special tour of the Maracanã Stadium, the largest football stadium in the world. During the tour President Peres will review the preparations for the World Cup in 2014 and the Olympics in 2016, two events that present opportunities for increased cooperation between Israeli and Brazilian defense, infrastructure, and communication industries. The President will also visit Petrobras, the large Brazilian oil producer, and will speak in front of hundreds of students at an Argentine college for foreign affairs.
In addition, the President will visit the Jewish communities of both countries, which are the largest on the continent. In Argentina, the President will preside over a memorial service for the victims of the terrorist attack against the Israeli Embassy in Buenos Aires. In a remarkable move, as a result of the initiative of both the Office of the President and the Jewish Agency, 30 new immigrants from Brazil and Argentina will join the President on his journey back to Israel.
The Office of the President, along with the Israel Export & International Cooperation Institute and the Manufacturers Association of Israel, has formed a delegation of business leaders from a wide spectrum of Israeli industries that will accompany the President. Brazil and Argentina have both prepared for these leaders a substantive economic itinerary that includes several tours of professional facilities, discussions with high ranking government officials, and meetings with local business leaders.
These efforts parallel the President's goal of signing wide-reaching economic agreements between Israel and both countries. The President also plans to launch an Israel-Brazil-Argentina business forum with economic leaders on the continent. The leading companies accompanying the President on his visit include: ALVR, El Al, Elbit Systems, Israel Aerospace Industries, Koor, Motorola, Ormat Technologies, RADCOM, Rafael Advanced Defense Systems, Ashtrom, ECI Telecom, and the Israel National Water Co. (Mekorot). The president of the Manufacturers Association of Israel, Shraga Brosh, will also join the President.
Delegation of business people to Brazil
President Peres will lead a delegation of 40 managers and business leaders from the energy, security, infrastructure, medicine, and communication industries.
- The Israel Export and International Cooperation Institute - Avi Hefetz, CEO; Head of the Business Delegation
- Ahim Business Development Ltd. - Avi Pick, Advisor
- Alvarion - Rami Bar, General Manager Latam
- Arad Metering Technologies LTD - Daniel Chrust, VP Marketing
- Barbolin, Shapiro & Partners - Michael Barbolin, Partner
- El-Al - Itshak Cohen, VP West Europe & South America
- Elbit Systems Ltd. - Joseph Ackerman, President & CEO; Joseph Nemesh, Vice President, Brazilian Programs; Shlomo Erez, Director General, Aeroelectronica Q Subsidary
- Elmotech Ltd. - Leo Milstein, Vice president marketing & sales
- Ex-Sight.com - Rafael Camargo, Arnaldo Maciel
- Gallery IP Telephony - Avihai Degani, CEO
- Quadmanage Ltd. - Yoav Degani, VP Operations
- ISDS Ltd. - Leo Gleser, President
- IAI - Israel Aerospace Industries - Itzhak Nissan, President and CEO
- Israel -Africa Horizon Ltd - Hezi Bezalel, President
- Isrex (94) Ltd. - Gad Hitron, Active Vice-Chairman, Board of Directors
- Koor Trade Ltd. - Gad Ben Joseph, Manager of Koor Intercomercial SA (subsidiary of Koortrade for Latin America and Brazil)
- Latin Connection Ltd. - Adv. Jaime Aron, President; Ossie Gluck, Project Manager; Cathy Cohen, Project Manager